Tender little muffins with orange zest and brown butter in the batter. Perfect for fresh summer blueberries. Orange and Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins are my new favorite variation of a traditional muffin favorite!
As if you needed one more thing to make before the long weekend, right?
You’re gonna wanna have these on hand. I mean it.
So pack up your picnic baskets with a batch of these, a few drinks, and some fruit for good measure. Head out to the lake or the beach or that nice green patch of grass that will be all yours for the evening, lean back, and wait for the sun to set.
And by all means, enjoy every minute.
- For the Muffin Batter:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 medium orange (about 2 teaspoons-- reserve a little for the topping)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 12 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- ⅛ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- For the Streusel Topping:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- reserved orange zest (see above)
- 3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. The butter will melt and start to crackle and pop. Watch it closely because you don't want it to burn. It will turn a pretty amber color and smell nutty, and there will be little delicious browned bits. Remove it from the heat and pour it into a small bowl so that it does not continue cooking.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and orange zest. Rub them together with your fingers until all the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk them all together.
- Measure the buttermilk into a liquid measuring cup. Add the egg plus egg yolk and orange juice. Lightly whisk them together. Then pour the brown butter in just a little at a time, whisking between each addition. This will help to temper the eggs so they don't cook and scramble in the bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- The batter will be THICK. Divide it evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- To make the streusel, add the 3 tablespoons of sugar and the reserved orange zest to a medium bowl. Work them together with your fingers just like you did with the batter. Add the softened butter and flour to the bowl and continue working together with your hands until coarse crumbs form, the largest crumbs about the size of peas. Sprinkle the streusel all over the muffin batter. There will be enough to completely cover each muffin.
- Bake for 18-20 mins, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.