If you love apple pie or apple crumble, you’ll LOVE this Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Oatmeal! Warm, cozy, and loaded with cooked apples plus all the delicious spices.
Note: This recipe dates back to 2013! But it’s still one of my favorite breakfasts. So I have added some new photos and am sharing it again, for those of you that haven’t been hanging around that long.
I think it’s time for a Lucy update.
She is my snuggly little companion. She is smart and sweet and might be the laziest puppy ever.
I was sifting through some blog things today and I noticed that I might be a pretty slack Lucy mama because I never updated my “About“page to include her. Oops.
So here she is…
She really is a doll.
Like any puppy she has a few issues, but nothing major. Mostly she just doesn’t like to be left alone. Ever. At all. She’s not the greatest car rider either. She adjusts. And then readjusts. And then she fusses a little. And then she drools.
This morning I drove Evan to school. So we brought Lucy with us. We were completely engrossed in this puzzle game that Chad put on my phone while we waited in the neverending line of non-moving vehicles. We weren’t really paying attention when it was time for Evan to get outta the car. Evan leaped out…
…annnnnd so did Lucy.
Evan exclaimed, “Oh no!, Lucy!!,” and then took off running after her.
Fortunately Lucy wasn’t trying to run away. She was just really excited about all the little kids and she was really sick of sitting in the car.
I had this brief flash of me having to leap out of the car to chase my puppy down. Just so we’re clear about my carpool attire, it consists of a sports bra under a tank top, a pair of sweat pants, flip flops, a mop of curly disaster hair, and a cup of coffee glued to my hand. I was majorly relieved that I did not have to exit the vehicle.
I eat oatmeal at least 3 mornings a week. I think stovetop oatmeal gets a bad rap. It’s not time-consuming. In fact mine is usually done by the time I pour my coffee. You can dress it up or dress it down. You can make it taste like your favorite dessert. You can add fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, CHOCOLATE! Oatmeal is amazing.
This homemade apple cinnamon oatmeal is my current favorite. Lots of good heart-healthy fuel for when you might need to chase a puppy across a school parking lot.
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium crisp apple, about 1½ cups diced
- 3 tablespoons honey (OR 2 tablespoons brown sugar), plus a little more to drizzle over the finished oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (or gluten free oats!)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup milk (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add 1 cup of the apples, the honey or brown sugar, and sprinkle in the spices and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the apples are softened.
- Pour in the water, turn the heat up to high, and bring to a low boil. Add the oats and reduce the heat to medium/medium high. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add the walnuts (if using), and continue cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed. Divide the oatmeal between two bowls, sprinkle each with the remaining apples, drizzle with a little more honey, and splash ¼ cup milk into each bowl.
If you love oatmeal,you should also try…
Want Some More?
Get new recipes plus a healthy dose of snarky humor delivered to your inbox each week. It's good stuff y'all.
Yesssssss! Cookies for you!