Yesterday, while revealing my new blog about how Trailer Trashtastic my mobile home can be, I also made a promise of yummy pasta all cheesy bacon and eggy. It’s a promise I intend to keep, without even procrastinating! Well maybe I did sleep in a little, but whatever… it’s Saturday.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am a firm believer in breakfast for dinner. Sunday seems to be the only day that in this house we can linger a little while over a pile of pumpkin pecan pancakes or an over-sized omelet. It’s the only morning of the week I have the time to stand over the stove to fry the entire pound of bacon it takes to feed the hungry boys that surround me, or butter all the toast and cook the eggs to order.
Eating breakfast food in the evening is a surefire way to nail the timing required to prepare a meal that takes up every available cooking space and get it all on plates while it’s HOT… it’s also the only meal of the day that I can count on all four of us meeting at the table.
But what if there were an easier way? Some magical solution to having your bacon and eggs as part of your evening meal, all the while avoiding the pancake griddle?
Pasta Carbonara is no secret… it is a timeless, simple, and classic meal. It’s so simple in fact that sometimes people forget about it (for the record those “people” are NOT me) and move on to other breakfasty dinner fare such as quiche or hot cakes with sage-tinged sausage. Pasta carbonara is also your best friend if you are trying to prepare a satisfying and pretty meal on a budget. Or if you’re like me and you avoid running out to the grocery store unless it’s some kind of emergency.
So without further ado, the Spaghetti Carbonara recipe. And if you missed yesterday, take a minute to hop over to Trailer Trashtastic, my newest addition to Sugar Dish Me (yes, I am soliciting my readers with not even a hint of shame because you guys are great!!) and let me know what you think!
Spaghetti Carbonara is the perfect fast dinner on the cheap! Eggs and cheese perfectly coat al dente spaghetti noodles tossed with bacon and chopped green onions.
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 1 pound of bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs, beaten well
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- In a deep skillet cook the bacon until crisp and then set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid before draining.
- Spoon any excess grease out of the skillet and then heat the olive oil. Over medium low heat, stir the green onions and garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the skillet cool for a minute.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and then the cooked pasta, stirring and tossing to coat with the eggs. If the mixture is too thick or too sticky pour in little bits of the reserved cooking water.
- Stir in the bacon pieces and the cheese, tossing to coat everything evenly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 1220mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 29g
(modified from Everyday Food, April 2012)