I blinked and it was Friday.
I seriously don’t have the faintest idea what happened to this week.
Or this morning.
I had this longlonglong list of 34,872 things that I needed to get done early this a.m. and I can’t really tell that I’ve accomplished anything. I’m actually still working on my list from yesterday. Is anyone else having this problem?
I am kind of freaking out a little bit because it’s DEFINITELY the middle of October and I have DEFINITELY had bear claw slippers on my feet for the last 3 days, and even though this weather is like getting smacked in the face with my-most-favorite-time-of-year kinda great, I feel like we are on a train that is speeding towards Christmas and I need to get off!!! Really. I need a few days to smell the roses. Or prune the roses. Or rake the leaves, maybe.
I feel like all the stores are rushing me. They are putting up Christmas decorations.
I’m just trying to find a box of Frankenberry.
Are we rationing the Halloween cereal? Because I can’t find Frankenberry ANYWHERE. I procured one box of Boo Berry, got exactly one bowl after I guilted my children into sharing, and that’s it. I’ve searched high and low and there is nothing to be found except 5 boxes of Count Chocula at the Dollar General. I don’t like chocolate in my cereal. Or my pancakes. Or my muffins. Frankenberry and Boo Berry are actually the only junky cereals I will eat, and since I can’t find them, I’m starting to feel like there is some kind of Halloween cereal conspiracy happening. I don’t wanna see one more box of that Christmas Cap’n Crunch on the shelves. I’M NOT READY!!!
And chocolate belongs in cookies.
For those of you that have already started your holiday shopping– I admire you and sort of despise you all at once. I don’t think I will ever master that kind of planning. I haven’t even made my kids’ Halloween costumes yet. So even though you are pretty amazing and organized and everything a real grown-up should be, could you slow down a little? Because the stores are marketing their stuff for YOU, not me. And I am trying desperately to catch up.
At this rate I’ll be putting Santa Claus candies out for the trick-or-treaters. Just saying.
So chocolate belongs in cookies. And brownies. And cake.
And Triple Chocolate Sprinkled Brownie Bites.
I made these itty bitty so-full-of-chocolate-they-make-Hershey-jealous brownie cookie thingies for my friend, Rachael. She was having a bad week.
Please ignore my very chipped nail polish in this photo. I should have removed it, but since I basically misplaced Monday through Thursday, I didn’t have time.
These tiny cookies are chewy and fudgy like brownies and include melted dark chocolate in the batter, dark chocolate chunks mixed in, and chocolate ganache glaze.
You can see why chocolate in cereal might be completely unnecessary.
Especially since I probably had one of these with my morning coffee.
I DO remember that much of this week.
- 1½ cups bittersweet dark chocolate, divided (approximately 1 (10 ounce) bag of bittersweet baking chips; I used Ghirardelli)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream (maybe a tablespoon or two more, as needed for consistency)
- ½-3/4 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles
- Pre-heat the oven to 325. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 1 cup of the bittersweet dark chocolate chips and the 3 tablespoons of butter in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan (or use a double-boiler) and melt, stirring constantly, over medium heat. When the chocolate is melted and smooth, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the light brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla on medium until frothy. Then pour in the melted chocolate and beat for about 30 more seconds, until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture gradually, making sure to scrape down the sides between each addition. The batter will be thick.
- Stir in the remaining ½ cup bittersweet dark chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by rounded heaping teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet and flatten just slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops have a crackly appearance. Let them cool slightly on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache glaze, place the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream over medium to medium high heat, watching carefully, until it simmers.
- Pour the hot liquid over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for about a minute and then stir until smooth and creamy, adding more cream as desired for consistency.
- Spread a sheet of wax or parchment paper over a clean work surface. Set out an empty plate to catch the sprinkles.
- Dip the cooled brownie cookies into the warm ganache, and then hold them over the empty plate and sprinkle with the rainbow jimmies.
- Place the sprinkled brownie cookies on the wax paper to set- to speed up the process you can refrigerate.
(adapted slightly from THIS recipe at Sweetapolita)
Want Some More?
Get new recipes plus a healthy dose of snarky humor delivered to your inbox each week. It's good stuff y'all.