This Chicken Fajita Breakfast Skillet is just like the one I used to serve at Denny’s when I worked there back in the day. It’s lightened up with crisp, easy roasted potatoes, and tender pan-grilled chicken. An awesome meal for breakfast or dinner!
Remember when I told you I’ve worked in restaurants my whole life?
Well. Often the foods I served or prepared while catering or prep cooking, or pouring coffee at 2 a.m. yield inspiration for what I make at home now or decide to share with you. For three years when my boys were small I worked 3rd shift at good ‘ol Denny’s which was, it’s accurate to say, a totally interesting and life-altering experience.
I made friends there that I still have today, developed a serious appreciation for caffeinated beverages, and will never underestimate the value of a good line cook that can turn out perfect eggs for hoards of intoxicated people in the middle of the night.
After an 8-hour shift of hustle that started at 10 p.m. and ended somewhere around 6:30 or 7 a.m., this Chicken Fajita Breakfast Skillet used to be one of my favorite things to sit down to before I walked home. It is THE BEST hearty breakfast when you are tired and starving and totally spent. It’s fun to share. It also makes a great 30-minute meal when you need dinner in a pinch!
I almost always have most of these ingredients on hand, and it comes together in a cinch.
- 4 cups diced Russet baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 thinly sliced chicken cutlets cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- fresh avocado slices and chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (parchment paper works best).
- While the oven pre-heats you can scrub and dice your potatoes. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and spread them in a single layer across the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with the salt, and roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium high in a large skillet. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper to evenly coat, and brown in the oil.
- Add the onions and peppers. Reduce the heat a little and continue cooking until the onions and peppers are soft and the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate pan or skillet cook the eggs to your liking. (Pictured are eggs poached over medium; you can scramble yours or fry them!).
- When the potatoes are done, add them to the large skillet with the chicken, onions, and peppers. Toss to combine.Cover with the cheese.Top with the cooked eggs, salsa, and sour cream. Garnish with the avocado and cilantro. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 868 Total Fat: 44g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 26g Cholesterol: 378mg Sodium: 1215mg Carbohydrates: 69g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 11g Protein: 51g