Little bites of delicious pie crust, each stuffed with a fresh blueberry and a little raw sugar. Blueberry Pie Bites are great when you want “just a bite”! They also make excellent ice cream topping!
I am on a hopeless, unstoppable summer fruit binge.
Yesterday I ran to the store for lemons, cilantro, and jalapenos. What I came out with was lemons, cilantro, jalapenos, peaches, apples, bananas, white nectarines, blueberries, and blackberries. I turned over 10 cartons of strawberries looking for one pint without bruised berries, but came up empty, so I had to pass. I bought red peppers instead. And some really pretty baby greens. It’s like produce-palooza over here.
So I haul it all home and fill up the fridge, and then I have to figure out what to do with everything.
Mostly I just enjoy things as they are – raw fruit is THE BEST snack. But when my hoarding tendencies get the best of us, like when I bought a bushel of peaches that were quickly getting too ripe, I have to get creative. I mean, let’s talk about a bushel.
Do you even know how much that is? Because I’ll tell you – it’s A LOT. Like take the amount of peaches or apples or tomatoes that you think is a lot and multiply it by 5. That’s how much a bushel is.
I didn’t buy a bushel of blueberries, but I was close.
For awhile now I’ve had pie on the brain – like I don’t have one single traditional pie recipe on this blog.
Annnnd after today I still don’t.
But!!! I’m willing to say that these pie bites are better than regular pie. Shhh. I still love regular pie, but LISTEN.
You can pop these pie bites like popcorn.
I am also a firm believer in pie + ice cream. I like a 1:1 ice cream to pie ratio. It’s the only way. So with these pie bites you can dish up a bowl of ice cream, and then cover it in pie.
They are also really great for setting out on the table so every time you walk by you can grab a bite of pie.
Actually, that is kind of dangerous.
But I guess we are living on the edge here.
You only need 4 ingredients for these, which might make them slightly more dangerous. Pie crust + fresh blueberry + raw sugar + egg wash.
The End. And then you have pie.
And I have an excuse to hoard more fruit.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- about 45 blueberries
- 1/8 cup raw or turbinado sugar
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water (egg wash)
Special Equipment Required
- 1 1/2" biscuit cutter
- pastry brush
- Preheat the oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a pan with an edge so the pie bites don't roll away when you place them in the oven.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and unroll the refrigerated pie crust.
- Use a 1 1/2" biscuit cutter to cut all your little pie bite circles out of the refrigerated pie crust.
- Place 1 blueberry in the center of each circle. Sprinkle each one with a little sugar (you probably won't use all the sugar).
- Fold up two sides of one of the circles like a taco. The grab the adjacent sides and pinch the corners. This makes a little pocket for the blueberries. You can dip your fingers in egg wash to pinch the corners if you can't get them to stick.
- Brush each bite with the egg wash. Place each bite on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little more sugar and bake for about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g
Want Some More?
Get new recipes plus a healthy dose of snarky humor delivered to your inbox each week. It's good stuff y'all.