A delicious homemade caramel corn snack with pretzels! Caramel Popcorn Pretzel Snack is similar to Cracker Jacks, but with a homemade caramel sauce that makes everything it touches taste infinitely better.
The other day I found these really adorable popcorn bowls at World Market and the proceeded to plan my Friday evening around buying/using them. I came up with a really fun popcorn recipe!!!! Movie night in full effect.
This recipe is pretty much like homemade Cracker Jacks with pretzels added with a treat factor of X 1000. You could maybe even sneak a treat in the bottom of the bowl.
Since I figured out the caramel science, it is entirely possible that I will continue to bombard you with caramel recipes. Unapologetically.
This would make a great lunchbox or after school treat. It would be great to take to the drive-in!!! It would be a welcome addition to any sleepover or couch surfing movie marathon. And it comes together in a super cinch.
Mmmmmm! Caramel and popcorn and pretzels and peanuts!
I don’t think I need to add more words to that. Just make it happen!!
- 6 cups plain popcorn ( a bag of microwave is fine but I don't have a microwave!) See Note
- 3 cups pretzels-- knots or snaps work great
- ¾ cup unsalted peanuts (I used dry roasted)
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea or kosher!!)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl and pick through to remove any unpopped kernels (they will stick to the caramel and the hard pieces are not good for your teeth!).
- Add the pretzels and peanuts.
- Scatter the salt over everything.
- Heat the water in a small saucepan. Dump the ½ cup sugar right in the center. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil (it only takes a minute or less). Remove the lid, stir (if the sugar is not completely incorporated into the water at this point) and continue cooking until the liquid is a pretty caramel-amber color.
- Place the pan in the sink and add the heavy cream. It will bubble. Stir until it's smooth. Add the vanilla. Stir.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn, pretzels, and nuts. Stir to incorporate and coat.
- Let it cool and then break the bigger chunks apart. Eat! Enjoy!!!
- Store in an airtight container.
If you love this recipe, you will definitely love it’s dolled up counterpart, the Salty Sweet Snack Mix with Chocolate. Holy Moly!