I am cold. I am wrapped up in two sweaters, leggings, sweatpants and a scarf while I write this. Oh and my slippers that look like bear claws. Yes I live in the south and it’s probably not as cold as I think, and yes I do realize that people in the northeast are buried in the snow with no power right now. But I am still cold.
I might mention that this house is very poorly insulated and I am currently boycotting our astronomical power bill which means that I refuse to turn on the heat and it’s been about 30 degrees at night. Did you know that when it gets cold at night and then the house cools off, it stays cold in here ALL DAY, even when it’s warm outside? Why doesn’t it work that way in the summer?
Well anyway the result of all this is that my feet are like icicles and I only want to eat warm cozy food. Goodbye chicken salad and watermelon slices. I bid you farewell until my toes thaw out.
Hellooooo chili (in every variation imaginable– just wait until it gets REALLY cold outside– you’ll see)! I don’t really use recipes for my chili. I just keep throwing things in the pot until I like the way it tastes. But for the sake of sharing I tried to slow down for a minute. Long enough to measure (sometimes) and take a few pictures.
This particular pot of chili turned out rather well. It was so warm and toasty I even took off one sweater and a scarf to enjoy it. But the bear claw slippers? Well those are staying on until March I think.
Even if you don’t like it hot, this will warm you from the inside out. Making chili is much more cost effective than running the heat… I’m just sayin.
Knock Your Socks Off 30 Minute Chili
Easy delicious and FAST 30-minute chili recipe with a special ingredient that you'll love but won't expect!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken, turkey, or beef(see note)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cups of your favorite salsa
- 28 ounces petit diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a deep skillet or dutch oven, heat the oil and saute the onions until they are translucent and soft- about 3 minutes.
- Add the meat brown it, breaking it up with a spatula while it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cocoa powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Stir in your salsa. Continue cooking and then add in the tomatoes and the beans.
- Bring it to a simmer, cook for about 15 more minutes and serve.
I used chicken in the photos. I prefer a leaner, less-rich meat with the cocoa powder because it adds a lot of depth to the flavor, but if beef is what you have or prefer it WILL work! Just be sure to drain the grease before adding the seasoning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1292mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 13gSugar: 8gProtein: 33g
Crock Pot Crazy « Sugar Dish Me
Friday 6th of January 2012
[...] you’re tired of chili recipes, but don’t say I didn’t warn you (Chili Cause I’m Cold). I love chili. And for 2 whole entire days this week it felt like winter in North Carolina. I was [...]