Lemonade is such a nostalgic summer beverage! It brings to mind all kinds of happy things. Easy Homemade Lemonade is the perfect recipe for the hot days ahead.
So… this is pretty much the perfect summer drink.
I flipping LOVE lemonade. So does Evan, my littlest guy (that is quickly becoming so so big! My sister sent me an old photo of my boys the other day and all I could think about were chubby fingers and sticky faces long before the days of Xbox and Minecraft). Andrew eh… not so much. Except THIS lemonade he guzzled and came back for seconds and I had to be a smartass about it and say, “But I thought you didn’t like lemonade?!!”
I got the Eyeroll.
When we grab a quick bite to eat I am totally the mom that makes my kids share a drink. I learned this trick from my own parents trying to juggle a brood of 5. I’m talking 99 cent menu. Value meal WHAT? $6 a person is not a value. If we are eating fast food garbage $3 is my limit. Love me a 99 cent salad thankyouverymuch.
I am not a hypocrite though. Chad and I always share a drink. But the drink sharing poses a problem and I am always the one to sacrifice by letting Chad get whatever he wants which is NEVER EVER the Minute Maid Light Lemonade and almost every time starts with Dr. and ends with Pepper. It’s the little things that make me an awesome girlfriend. Anyway.
Never getting the drink we want puts Evan and I in the same lemonade-less boat. Logistics would point to sharing with Evan instead of Chad, but since Chad and Andrew are both too manly to share a drink, and also because I refuse to donate $6 to fountain soft drinks – we just do without.
But I got tired of life without lemonade.
So I made my own. And now, for the same $6 I can have lemonade all week!! Take THAT Minute Maid (just kidding. I still love you.).
This lemonade is tart and sweet and everything you ever wanted a cool refreshing glass to be. And even the lemonade haters wanted more. It’s the Lemonade Reformation. Get on board!
Easy Homemade Lemonade
Easy Homemade Lemonade is refreshing and tart and sweet! This recipe makes it simple to adjust the sugar so it's super simple to get it just right.
- 6-7 lemons
- 1-1 1/2 cups sugar (this amount can be reduced according to taste)
- 8 cups water, divided
- Zest 3 of the lemons.
- Place the lemon zest and the sugar in a small saucepan (1-2 quart) with 2 cups of the water.
- Stir and bring to a simmer but don't boil-- you just want to dissolve the sugar and get the lemon zest flavor into the liquid. Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture steep.
- Juice the remaining lemons (and the 3 you zested). I pour the juice through a fine mesh strainer straight into the pitcher because I completely hate on some pulp. This step is not necessary-- it's all about preference.
- Pour the simple syrup you made with the lemon zest into the pitcher with the lemon juice. I also pour this through a fine mesh strainer to remove the zest, but again-- it's preferential.
- Add the remaining 6 cups of water.
- Add more water if it is too sweet/tart. Pour over ice and serve immediately or let it chill and serve later!
Watch the sugar! If you are not partial to things being too sweet go easy to begin with.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 3gSugar: 52gProtein: 1g
Sunday 21st of July 2013
I'm sure your lemonade is 1,000 times better than minute maid!!! lol Looks refreshing!!! And Chad is lucky he has you as a girlfriend...doctor love!!! lol
Mr. & Mrs. P
Monday 15th of July 2013
So simple... Nothing like a good lemonade to quench summer thirst..
Sunday 14th of July 2013
I don't really have a problem spending money on restaurant food but I always order water. Tap please.
My 8-year-old has an addiction to sparkling water. At $8 a bottle. What's with this generation??
Thursday 11th of July 2013
I could have used a gallon of this after running tonight. What is UP with this humidity??? I may try making this with Ellie this weekend!
Friday 12th of July 2013
I hope you will! It's really awesome. The humidity is AWFUL. Ready for fall. Does that make me lame?
Choc Chip Uru
Thursday 11th of July 2013
Homemade lemonade is so refreshing and delicious :D Love this!