This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LoveDoveFruits #CollectiveBias
Perfect for parties, movies, picnics, and more. This Salty Sweet Snack Mix with Chocolate combines all our favorite salty snacks with a sweet glaze and chocolate covered blueberries.
It has been entirely too long since I made us a snack.
It was high time, I think.
So what happened here is that I combined all my favorite salty snacks, covered them with a sweet sort of glaze, and then added chocolate covered fruit. DOVE® Fruit, to be exact.
Once upon forever ago I made this Caramel Popcorn Pretzel Snack. It remains one of my favorite things ever, but there are lots of days that I actually just do not have the patience to make caramel. So I wondered what would happen if I took a slight variation of the syrup I use to hold my favorite granola bars together, and poured it over the popcorn and pretzels? I already knew it would play well with chocolate because The Best Dang Granola Bars Ever are definitely covered in chocolate.
Chocolate is really really really important when you are making a Salty Sweet Snack Mix. I mean… if we are keeping it real, chocolate is pretty important all the time, but it is totally necessary in a snack.
Snack mixes without chocolate are inferior.
I used DOVE® Fruit Blueberries here and am SO glad I did. From the packaging I really wasn’t super sure what to expect. Would the blueberries be plump? More on the fresh-ey side? I had no clue.
And so, in the name of snack food investigative journalism, I opened the package to find… the DOVE® Fruit version of – well I can’t say it so let’s just play a rhyming game – Schmayzenets.
I am really bothered by the fact that autocorrect did not catch that grotesque spelling error but we still argue about ‘bundt’ every time I type it.
The DOVE® Fruit Blueberries are just like perfect little dried blueberry pearls covered in smooth DOVE® Chocolate.
Whoever invented them is super devoted to good snacking.
I found mine at Walmart – although not where I expected. I looked in the candy aisle — you know back there with the potato chips and almonds and all the other good things? But I actually found them up at the front of the store by the books.
I guess that’s a hint that we should be reading while we snack, yes?
I thought so.
You can download a coupon for DOVE® Fruit Blueberries HERE
(so you can make this Salty Sweet Snack Mix at a discount!)
- 4 cups popcorn
- 3 cups toasted rice cereal squares
- 2 cups pretzels (snaps, twists, or circles)
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup DOVE® Fruit Blueberries
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray VERY LIGHTLY with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl toss together the popcorn, rice cereal squares, pretzels, and mixed nuts.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot liquid over the snack mixture in the large bowl. Gently toss to combine.
- After about a minute, add the DOVE® Fruit Blueberries and stir. Then scatter the contents of the bowl evenly across the prepared baking sheet until it has completely cooled.
- Serve the same day. Store for up to 36 hours in an airtight container (longer than that and the popcorn doesn't taste fresh anymore)
- See more great DOVE® Fruit recipe ideas on the DOVE® Fruit social hub.