Bourbon Caramel Apple Shortcakes are MY FAVORITE! Fluffy little shortcakes topped with sweet cinnamon cooked apples, whipped cream, and bourbon caramel.
Ohhhh haaayyyy. This post dates back to September 2013. I re-photographed everything in 2018 and re-shared, and at the time we were fostering a mama + 9 puppies, so basically I was just trying really hard to keep my life together 😅
Back in 2013, when I first made these Bourbon Caramel Apple Shortcakes, they were part of a collection of recipes dedicated to the significant others in our lives that tolerate the weirdness that is food blog authoring. If you scroll to the end there are tons of hilarious interviews plus the recipes that we feed the people that live with us.
Example: Being a person that develops recipes as an actual job, you’d assume I have no shortage of home-cooked food hanging around. This assumption would be wrong. More often I have something like a stack of 35 Sweet Potato Pancakes and no actual dinner.
So at the writing of this post, we were really living life in the drive thru at Wendy’s because we spent all night at my son’s Christmas concert, no one wanted cold pancakes, and also, NINE PUPPIES. Anyway, we all love Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers here so let’s not waste our time with excuses.
There are three main parts to this recipe
- The shortcakes
- The spiced cooked apples
- The bourbon caramel
You can make any and all of the three components ahead of time, so if you are planning for big ‘ol dinner or holiday, this is one dish that you can check off at least a day in advance.
How to make amazing shortcakes
Making amazing shortcakes is a lot like making big fat fluffy biscuits. There are a few important tips that you need to keep in mind!
- COLD INGREDIENTS! Cold butter, cold buttermilk, cold eggs! The cold ingredients lend to the tender fluffy texture.
- Don’t add all the liquid at once. Add half, mix, check the texture and then add the rest. You don’t want to have dough that is too wet, and things like climate and humidity can affect how much liquid you actually need.
- Don’t over-mix! Over-mixing means tough shortcakes.
Shortcake Ingredients Needed
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 egg, plus one lightly beaten egg white (for brushing the shortcakes)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons fat free buttermilk
Bourbon Caramel Apple Shortcakes are an excellent easy [boozy] dessert to serve a crowd and are great for holidays. Homemade shortcakes are covered in cooked cinnamon apples, bourbon caramel, and whipped cream. If you need to do this quickly, store-bought shortcakes will eliminate steps 1-7 and you can always buy whipped cream instead of making your own. Homemade Apple pie topping and bourbon caramel are the crucial elements to this recipe so don't skimp there! Those two steps on the stove will only take you about 20 minutes. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fresh Whipped Cream:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
Bourbon Caramel Apple Shortcakes are an excellent easy [boozy] dessert to serve a crowd and are great for holidays. Homemade shortcakes are covered in cooked cinnamon apples, bourbon caramel, and whipped cream.
If you need to do this quickly, store-bought shortcakes will eliminate steps 1-7 and you can always buy whipped cream instead of making your own. Homemade Apple pie topping and bourbon caramel are the crucial elements to this recipe so don't skimp there! Those two steps on the stove will only take you about 20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wanna know more about your favorite authors and their other halves? Check out these posts
- Lauren from Keep it Sweet Desserts made M&M Cake
- Meaghan from The Decorated Cookie made Homemade Spaghetti-O’s
- Lauren from Climbing Grier Mountain shared At the Table with Mr. B
- Erin at Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts wrote The Guy Across the Table
- Erin from Texanerin Baking made Healthier NYT Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Jen from Jen’s Favorite Cookies made Chocolate Pudding
- Diane from Created by Diane made Rocky Road Cookies
- Nikki from Seeded at the Table made Oatmeal Cream Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Meagan from A Zesty Bite wrote The Guy Across the Table
- Taylor from Greens & Chocolate made Butterfinger Blondies
- Amanda from i am baker made Classic Cheesecake with Double Crust
- Lauren from Healthy Delicious put together 10 Guy-Approved Recipes
- Katerina from Diethood made Pasta with Tomatoes, Olives, and Garlic
- Betsy from Java Cupcake made White Chocolate Everything
- Kimberly from The Daring Gourmet made French Almond Cake