I have quite a few pancake recipes on this site. Sweet Potato Pancakes are warm and cozy, spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. I serve them with cinnamon syrup which is also perfect on Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pancakes.
If you are looking for a super light and fluffy pancake recipe, these Lemon Poppy Seed Ricotta Pancakes are EHHHVERYTHING. Whipped egg whites are folded in like meringue. It’s a whole experience. Then there are Morning Glory and Zucchini Bread Pancakes that taste like their muffin counterparts, but it’s acceptable to eat a stack doused in syrup.
These Oat Nut Whole Wheat Pancakes were one of the earliest breakfast recipes I wrote for this site, and they are really a lesson in how pancakes are supposed to be.
To make buttermilk in a pinch, mix together 1 tablespoon white vinegar + 1 cup LESS 1 tablespoon milk. Let stand for 10 minutes.
This Whole Wheat Pancake recipe yields earthy, nutty, fluffy pancakes that are heart-healthy and full of whole grains. Whether you load these pancakes up with blueberries or enjoy them as-is, this recipe will be a pancake breakfast staple.
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons natural almonds
- 3 tablespoons pecans
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 ounces fresh blueberries (optional)
- **butter for the skillet
- **fresh whipped cream
- **fresh strawberries or other fruit to garnish
- Put the old fashioned oats, almonds and pecans into a blender or food processor and pulse or grind until coarse crumbs are formed.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oat/nut mixture, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and sugar.
- In a smaller bowl beat the egg and then whisk in the oil. Stir it into the dry mixture and then slowly pour in the buttermilk, stirring until just combined.
- Set the batter aside for about 10 minutes to let it rise. While the batter rests, heat the pancake griddle or skillet.
- If you are adding blueberries, gently fold them into the batter.
- Butter the cooking surface and measure the batter out by the 1/4 cup. Cook until bubbly and then flip.
- Serve the hot pancakes with fresh whipped cream and fruit.
- You can substitute fat free buttermilk for regular buttermilk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 223mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information provided here is an estimate and will vary depending on ingredient brands and how you measure. Estimates do not include pancake toppings such as butter, whipped cream, or syrup.