This deliciously rich chili is loaded with flavor. Mole Chili Con Carne is made with tender boneless chuck roast in a chipotle pepper and dark chocolate sauce, with the robust coffee flavor of Kahlúa liqueur that helps to pack a serious chili punch. Best chili I have ever made, hands down.
This post was sponsored by Kahlúa to help promote their Summer Shake Up campaign. I was compensated for the content here, but all opinions are my own.
I have a big family. I mean – not the Duggar family monstrous by any stretch of the imagination, but I’m the oldest of 5. When 5 kids grow up and have significant others you end up with 10 people in your house before you even invite your mom.
And the 5 of us, we get along really well, so we actually like to make up reasons to get together.
Because 12+ birthday parties a year plus holidays doesn’t cover enough bases, I guess?
This year we have been finding the most fun excuses to get together. We’ve been planning parties around movies we loved as kids with Jurassic Park topping the list. There is an 80’s party happening soon while we watch The Wedding Singer – full 80’s attire is required for attendance.
It’s THE MOST fun to have everyone over, and even more fun to re-watch things we must have viewed a zillion times when we were younger. I enjoy the menu-planning, but let’s be real.
This is not Thanksgiving, so I look for what will be simple, delicious, and cost effective for a crowd.
This Mole Chili Con Carne with Kahlúa is IT.
A fun dish with loads of flavor. It looks fancy and festive, but is really simple to pull together. And the toppings! Oh the topping possibilities are endless.
Are you familiar with Mole Sauce? It’s pretty easy to find prepared mole in the stores here. Basically it’s chili seasoned dark chocolate sauce- traditionally flavored with ancho chiles. I opted for chipotle chiles in adobo sauce because I think they are pretty easy to find in nearly any store, and I used really good quality dark chocolate.
I think this is the best chili I ever made. I’m not even joking.
The Kahlúa I stirred in at the end adds just that much more flavor. The coffee notes in the rum play really well with the tender beef and the chocolate.
A meal fit for a crowd!
It will no doubt impress.
Mole Chili Con Carne is loaded with tender chuck roast simmered in a chipotle pepper and chocolate sauce with the rich coffee flavors of Kahlúa. This is hands down the best chili I have EVER made. Takes a little time, but it's totally worth it.
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast, fat trimmed and cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (2 for mild, 4 for hot)
- 2 ounces good quality dark chocolate
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa coffee liqueur
- black beans
- queso fresco
- chopped green onions
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla strips
- Cook the bacon in a large deep skillt or dutch oven. Remove to a paper towel to drain and remove all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add the chuck roast and brown it on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to place the beef in a large bowl and set it aside. If you have liquid in your pan, drain it all except for about 2 tablespoons.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat until they are caramel-colored and smell sweet. Then add the garlic and green pepper. Cook for about a minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cinnamon. Stir. Then stir in the chipotle peppers. Toss in the chocolate and stir until it melts.
- Pour in the beef broth and add the browned beef back to the pan. Bring everything to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes, or until the meat is very tender.
- Stir in the Kahlúa. Remove from the heat.
- Serve each bowl of chili with your favorite optional garnishes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweese 108.101 Porcelain Bowls with Handles - 20 Ounce for Soup, Cereal, Stew, Chill, Set of 4, White
StarPack Basics Silicone Slotted Serving Spoon, High Heat Resistant to 480°F, Hygienic One Piece Design Kitchen Utensil for Draining & Serving (Teal Blue)
Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 7-1/4-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, White
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 937mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 45g
I love serving sangria at my parties! Try something new with Kahlúa Sangria:
- 2 parts Kahlúa
- 2 parts red sangria
To serve: fill a wine glass with ice and pour the drink over it. Garnish with an orange.
Check out Kahlúa’s social media pages for fun entertaining and cocktailing inspiration and be sure to share all the ways you’re shaking up summer with the hashtag #KahluaSummer.