While this post is landing in your inbox I am on my way to the zoo with Evan, Chad, and a gaggle of 4th graders.
I made this trip a few years back when my mom and I chaperoned Andrew in the 3rd grade. Except mom and I had to ride the charter bus with all the small children on the 2+ hour drive to Columbia, SC. I can’t even handle driving to my mom’s house with my kids in the backseat of the car (because boys mostly like to be annoying when you strap them into small spaces) so that bus ride was a reeeeal treat.
Chad and I lucked out though because a few weeks ago I got a tentative phone call from one of Evan’s teachers. She said that there were more people going than could fit on the buses and would it be alright if we just drove separately?
Um… hell yes.
So not only do we get a Thursday off, but we get to go on a little road trip in the comfort of our own vehicle, complete with music and Starbucks. And Evan has to ride the bus with his friends!
Like any cool mom knows, field trips mean that you have to pack the lunch of all lunches. My mom always packed the most amazing lunches for field trips. And we got to have soda. IN A CAN. In a house with 5 kids, 4(?) dogs and 6-some-odd cats, soda was a treat, but we always would share iced glasses from a 2-liter. We never ever had it in a can (except when we visited my grandparents house and then it was our mission to spend 7 entire days chasing Jell-O Puddin’ Pops with ice cold cans of Coca-Cola). Field trip lunches were special.
Our field trip lunches will be super special (all full of Doritos and things that I never ever ever buy).
So yesterday I gave you a heads up that I’d be using the BBQ chicken in another post this week. Here it is! I love cold chicken. Is that weird? Like I really absolutely adore grilled chicken the next day, after it’s had all night to sit in the fridge and be extra full of flavor. So I sliced up cold BBQ chicken and then smeared this ranch cream cheese spread all over some tortillas, AND THEN I added veggies and wrapped it all up.
These wraps are so good!! Also- ranch cream cheese spread is amazing on bagels and things.
- 4 ounces ⅓ fat cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions or chives
- 1½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 burrito-sized tortilla shells
- 2 grilled BBQ chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- Place the cream cheese on a plate or in a bowl. Toss the salt on the garlic while mincing and then scrape the garlic and salt onto the cream cheese. Throw the green onions, parsley, dill, and black pepper onto the cream cheese and smash it all together using the back of a spoon. (see note)
- Spread the cream cheese onto each of the tortillas.
- Fill each with the chicken, lettuce, tomato and onion. Add more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Fold up the bottom of each wrap (to make wrapping easy, place the fillings in the center of the tortilla shell, sort of in a vertical line up from the edge closest to you) to the center. Fold in the sides and roll as tightly as you can without tearing the tortilla. You can wrap it in paper if that helps.
Do you have fun field trip traditions?